The Basic Brownie

Almost everyone loves chocolate, but my husband and his best friend are obsessed with chocolate, so whenever his friend is visiting I always bake something like with a double (or triple in this case) of chocolate. Cause according to this duo, 'there is no such thing as too much chocolate'. And I tried, they really can take in just about any amount of chocolate!



I thought that this simple recipe would be a good one to start my blog. It doesn't have any fancy ingredients, just the basics which are almost always in the pantry :)  and can be dressed up for any occasion, or not dressed up, just slice and serve. Also, I have been requested to share this recipe on multiple occasions, so here it goes!

I use both chocolate chips and chopped walnuts, but if your aren't the biggest fan of chocolate, then go ahead and sub it with walnuts. Want to overdose on chocolate, sub the walnuts with chocolate chips :). The nutella frosting, can also be left out and you can serve the brownie plain or with some vanilla ice cream on the side. My secret to getting the texture of the brownie just right (not to soft and fudge like, result of using a 8 x 8 square pan nor to hard and crispy, resulted from using a 9 x 13 rectangular pan) is using this pan. When I was on the hunt for the perfect pan, I couldn't find it in stores, ANYWHERE. Then Amazon saved the day! Also, lining the pan with foil helps with better and more even baking. But if your a fan of the crusty edges, o ahead and line the pan with wax paper instead.



I use a Kitchen Aid for all my baking, but any electric hand mixer will do the trick (I have not tried it in a food processor, if anyone does, please let me know how it goes). Enough chitchat, lets get to the point.

The Basic Brownie
Ingredients
BROWNIE 
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder (i love using the trader joes brand)
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup sugar (either white or brown is fine)
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped chocolate chips





NUTELLA FROSTING

1 cup nutella
8 oz cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar

EXTRA TOOLS
Sprinkles, for decorating
Icing bag
Wilton 1M tip
Circle cookie cutter
Foil


Method
Brownie
1. Preheat oven to 350*F and line baking pan with foil.
3. Sift all dry ingredients, except sugar. Set aside
2. Beat eggs and sugar, until pale in color.
3. Reduce speed and pour in melted butter. Increase speed and mix until incorporated.
4. Reduce speed of mixer and add in sifted dry ingredients, once the batter is mixed evenly, add vanilla essence and beat on high for 1-2 mins.
4. Pour into ready pan and bake for about 20-25 mins, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Frosting
1. Beat cream cheese, carefully scraping the edges and bottom of the bowl to ensure there are no lumps left.
2. Once the cream cheese is smooth, sift in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Make sure to beat and incorporate completely before adding a new batch. Also remember to scrap the bowl before and after every addition.
3. Lastly, add the nutella, beat until everything is mixed together into a creamy frosting.

Decorating
1. Once the brownie has cooled, cut out 6-8 circles, depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
2. Set icing bag with decorating tip, then fill with frosting.
3. Frost all the pieces and decorate with sprinkle of choice.




Enjoy!
Farhana



16 comments:

  1. What a great and epic recipe to start your blog off with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, let hope that I can keep it going :)

      Delete
  2. Great Start... Yummy! I like your brownie. I wasn't brownie fan Since I tasted your brownie It was so delicious, Not too sweet which I liked most. Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you get a chance to try it out sometime :)

      Delete
  3. Farhana, you do such a good job decorating everything! I envy that your husband loves chocolate, mine isn't all that into sweets, so I always worry about who is going to eat what I bake, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. come over for a bake date, then we can share and you won't feel too guilty :)

      Delete
  4. Love it! I'm salivating already! I can't wait to see more. Keep up the good work! You're making me want to start a blog now too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start one! But lets see how long this goes :P My last attempt failed :( Hope you end up making something from the blog!

      Delete
  5. I tried it today and its awesome. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, your brownies look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much so stopping by! Hope you get a chance to try it out for yourself!

      Delete
  7. What a great way to start! You have a delicious brownie recipe here and I wanna make them soon. I like your blog and like the way you express your love for baking, it is so inspirational.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe farhana.
    Looking forward to seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet words, also thank you for following. I will try to keep the posts coming. Hope that you get to try some of them!

      <3

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to try that Nutella frosting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!