In other news, I made a new blogger friend, Mary. Do take some time to check out her blog. Still trying to convince her to do a guest post. Hopefully I'll convince her soon enough!
Okay, enough chit chat, let get to the recipe. This is really quick and easy, I timed myself today and it took my 20 minutes to put in the oven and it was in the oven for about 40 mins. I used a ready made pie crust, but if you have the time, go ahead and make your own, I'll let you how it goes if I ever try it myself.
If you happen to be cooking for a fussy crowd, feel free to change or leave out some of the vegetables.
Adapted from Rachael Ray
1 9-inch ready made pie crust, thawed to room temperature
8 oz grape tomatoes, whole
8 oz white mushrooms, cut in half
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
12 oz frozen spinach, at room temperature
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and black pepper, to taste
2/3 cup milk (skim works fine)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
a few tablespoons of olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350, with the rack in the middle. Roll out and set the pie crust into a glass pie dish.
2. Heat olive in a medium fry pan on medium high heat. Add chopped onions and bell pepper. Stir occasionally.
3. Once the onion is transparent, add in the mushrooms and spinach. Add spices (salt, black pepper, red pepper and garlic powder). Mix well and cover. Lower the stove to medium.
4. After about 5 mins, uncover and increase heat to dry out any water that the vegetables might have released.
5. Set the vegetable off the stove to cool. In the meanwhile beat together the milk, eggs and cheese in a bowl.
6. Spread the vegetable mixture over the pie crust, then pour the milk mixture over it. Lastly set the tomatoes over the mixture (they will "float").
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 mins until the liquid sets. Cool on a wire rack for about 10-15 mins before serving.