After getting married, I was glad to find out that my husband was just a big a fan of Thai food as I was. We are having a great time trying out all the Thai places around the city (if you are ever in a Thai restaurant, try their dessert, Mango Sweet Rice).
Now, one can't eat out ALL the time, so I decided to start trying to recreate some of our favorite dishes with a bit of help from Trader Joe's (they have a great collections of ready made sauces to get you started). Then I decided to venture out and try to make my own sauce from scratch and I think that I was successful, cause I am ready to share this recipe with you :)
The chicken can be swapped out for tofu making this dish vegetarian, unfortunately I have not tried to make it without peanut butter, but I will post more recipe with out peanut butter for those of you who might have allergies. Serve with a salad on the side and you have yourself a meal.
This is a real simple recipe, so go ahead, give it a try and wow someone!
Easy Peasy Thai Noodles
adapted from Taste of Home
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter (no salt, no sugar added)
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
3-5 Tbsp sriracha sauce (adjust according to personal tolerance)
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 x 12 oz frozen mixed vegetable packs, thawed to room temperature
2-3 boneless chicken thighs, chopped into cubes
(substitute with cubes of fried tofu to make it vegetarian)
couple of Tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
small bunch of green onions
Yield: 4-6 servings
1. In a small bowl combine all ingrediants for the sauce, whisk together and set aside.
2. Bring water to boil in a deep pot. Boil pasta until al dente. Set aside.
3. Heat up oil in wok or round bottom fry pan on high heat.
4. Turn stove down to medium heat and add in chicken along with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to fry until chicken is brown, about 7-10 mins.
5. Once chicken is almost done, add in vegetables, stir to mix well.
6. When vegetables are half done, about 5-7 mins depending on the vegetables in the mix, pour in sauce. Mix well to coat vegetables and meat with the sauce.
7. When the sauce, vegetables and meat are well mixed, add in pasta and continue stirring to make sure that everything is well coated with the sauce and mixed well.
8. Reduce the stove heat to low and simmer for 3-5 mins before removing from stove. Sprinkle with chopped green onions.
9. Serve warm with a side salad.
Note: If omitting chicken, then stir fry vegetables directly. If adding in tofu, just add it in at end along with the pasta.