The Lemon Bar

Winter ended, Spring started and summer might be here, but I have not blogged, sad I know. This recipe was supposed to be shared two months ago when spring started playing peek-a-boo with us, here in the PNW. Now that spring is officially here and this week temperatures have been in the mid 80s!, so this recipe is still "in season" and can be made with the fresh lemons available now :) (Plus seems like rain might be back, in that case we'll pretend that its spring inside :) )

I really like lemon bars, which is surprising as I am not a huge fan of most things sour, but I like the sweet and sour mix in the lemon bar. I have tasted homemade and store bought ones and thought that it was high time to give it a try!


After looking around the internet for a while, I decided to try one with a thicker base, cause I don't like too much of the lemon cream. And I was impressed with the results. I also has a few friends and my husbands coworkers sample it, no bad comments, only requests to share recipes. So here I am finally sharing!


I keep talking about this sourness, like I'm complaining about it! I'm really not, just pointing it out to make sure that you don't bake it, if you don't like a strong lemon flavor in your desserts.


Give it a try! Leave a comment letting me know what you thought, if you make it!

Lemon Bars
Adapted from Annie Eats
Ingredients
For the lemon cream filling:
1 cup granulated sugar
zest of 2 large lemons
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice from ~2 large lemons)
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature and sliced

For the dough:
1 cup granulated sugar
¾ tsp. baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
10½ tbsp. cold, unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1 large egg, beaten

extra tools:
aluminum foil
8 x 8 baking dish
heatproof bowl
small pot (to create a double broiler)

Method
Making the lemon cream:
1. Zest the lemons on to the sugar, and combine (make sure to do this in a heatproof bowl, in preparation for steps to come). Whisk in the little beaten eggs (the mixture will start to thicken). Lastly, whisk in the lemon juice.
2. Bring a pot/saucepan of water to boiling, and place the waterproof bowl on top. Stir the mixture occasionally while it thickens. (This part take about twenty mins :( ) The mixture will reduce to about half of its original quantity. Remove from the stove and let the lemon cream cool. (about 10-15 mins)
3. Once the lemon cream has cooled, beat in the butter a couple of slices at a time. Once all the butter are been added, set the mixture aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350*F and line a 8 x 8 baking pan with foil.
Making the crust
5. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, flour and baking powder together with a fork. Add the egg and butter to the dry ingredients, and mix with a pastry blender. The mixture will be crumbly.
6. Spread the crust dough onto the lined pan and flatten with the bottom of smaller measuring cup. Pour in the lemon cream and spread evenly with a spatula.
7. Bake for about 40-50 minutes, until the center is just set.  Remove to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
8. Slice and serve!


Enjoy!
Farhana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!