Mealtime: Cajun Chicken Noodles

We are almost half way through Ramadan! Whoa, time really does fly when your busy. So busy with work and school, that this blog has taken a backseat. But I had to say yes when Lail of With a Spin invited me to her Virtual Iftar Party. I'm new at all of this, so bear with me!

Ramadan is a month of fasting, praying, reflecting and charity for Muslims all around the world. Its one of my favorite times in the year. And today I get to share it with all of you here on my blog. The key to Ramadan is fasting, not feasting. Sometimes we tend to get carried away with planning the perfect meal and forget to say an extra prayer instead. This is my first Ramadan with full time work and school, so it started off a little overwhelming, but complaining didn't change anything, so I sucked it up and am currently trying to make the best of this blessed month.


One thing that has helped me is making quick and simple meals, and getting some items premade from our local Indian grocery and Costco (yes, Costco has started carrying halal products!). With the long days, we have been merging Iftar and Dinner. Suhoor is also important when fasting, to ensure that you have a productive day. I love to have our morning meals ready to heat (my husband is awesome at setting up in the wee hours of the morning) and this one dish meal works great for Suhoor. Add a side salad and you've got dinner.


I especially love making this dish in the summer, because of all the fresh vegetables in the market. I hope that you enjoy it as much we do and thanks for stopping by my blog. Don't forget to head over to With a Spin to check out the rest of the yummy dishes that everyone is cooking up!


Cajun Chicken Noodles
Adapted from Mary's Kitchen Diaries

Ingredients

12 oz linguine
1 lb boneless chicken, cut into strips
3/4 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cumin powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium Roma tomatoes, sliced
1/3 cup milk (any fat)
1 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp cream cheese
2 green onions, chopped for serving


Method
1. Boil the linguine according to package instructions and set aside.
2. Boil the chicken strips with a little salt and pepper. Reserve the water to use as broth later.
3. Whisk or blend the milk, flour, and cream cheese. Set aside.
4. Heat up a wok on medium high with the olive oil, and brown the chopped garlic.
5. Add in the peppers and onions and saute for a 3-4 mins.
6. Add in the tomatoes, onions and boiled chicken.
7. Add in all the spices, reduce the heat and add one cup of the reserved chicken broth.
8. Once the broth comes to a boil, add in the cream sauce and linguine pasta.
9. Reduce the heat and allow it to come to a boil. Make sure to stir properly so that it does not stick to the bottom.
10. Top with green onions before serving.

Enjoy!
Farhana 

8 comments:

  1. Salaam, Farhana. Thank you so much for joining the potluck and making this wonderful noodles. This sounds utterly delicious.

    Feel free to hop on over With A Spin as more guests bring in their spreads. Thank you again for joining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inviting me! I probably should have replied earlier, but the busier I get, the more the blog gets neglected!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I commented earlier, but used the wrong method. Just hopped over from Lail's. This looks delicious! I always enjoy a good noodle dish, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am not a consistent blogger and the busier I get, the less I blog. I hopped over to your blog and loved it! Added a few recipes to my ever growing "to make" list!

      Delete
  4. Yum Yum, Cajun Chicken Noodles very colorful and utterly delicious too. Maximum vegetables used in this dish indeed prompting me to give this dish a try at home. Well done, Farhana :)

    -Abby's Spice Kitchen blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dish is absolutely a keeper. I need to make this soon actually ASAP. Thanks for joining the iftar party it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am not a consistent blogger and the busier I get, the less I blog. I hopped over to your blog and loved it! Added a few recipes to my ever growing "to make" list! Hope you got a chance to try it out!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog!