The Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcake

So my friend told me that adding freeze dried strawberries to macarons, I missed the word "dried" and ending up buying a bag of frozen strawberries. They hung out in the freezer for a while, but if you know me you probably know that stuffed freezers bug me. In an attempt to use them I went to my good friend Google for some help. And I came across a Sprinkles copycat recipe for strawberry cupcakes.


I'm glad I made my way to the kitchen to try the recipe. It really good, unfortunately the strawberry cupcake was sold out when I finally found my way to a Sprinkles bakery (more on that coming soon!). I've read some really complex recipes using fresh strawberries, so I'm glad that I made a mistake and got frozen strawberries, cause it lead me to making these really tasty cupcakes and now you can make them too! 


I also wanted to try and copy the look of Sprinkles cupcakes, but I didn't have the time to play with fondant. So I layered circle and heart sprinkles to try and create the look. 


The Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes

Adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients

for the cake
2/3 cup whole frozen strawberries, thawed
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk (any fat content)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 egg whites

for the frosting 
1/2 cup whole frozen strawberries
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method
for the cake
1. Preheat oven to 350*F and line a muffin tin.
2. Blend the strawberries, make sure that you have 1/3 cup puree. Add a few more strawberries if needed. Stir in milk and vanilla, set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together. Once the mixture is a pale yellow color, add the egg and beat well. Then add the egg whites. and beat for a few minutes till the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Reduce the speed of the mixer and add the rest of the dry ingredients, alternating with the strawberry mixture. Beat until just mixed.
5. Divide the batter into the lined muffin tin (I like to use a ice cream scoop) and bake for 20-25 mins depending on your oven, or until a toothpick comes out dry.
6. Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack, making the frosting in the meanwhile.

for the frosting 
7. Blend the strawberries to make a puree. Set aside.
8. Beat the butter until fluffy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
9. Once the butter-sugar mixture is well combined, add in the vanilla extract and 3 Tbsp of strawberry puree, beat for about 30 seconds till combined, making sure not to over mix.
10. Once the cupcake are cool, pipe or spread the frosting on and top with sprinkles! (cause sprinkles make everything better!!)

Enjoy!
Farhana

Don't forget, caring is sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!