The Chocolate (Graduation Cap) Cookies {and a Book Review}

Done with my take home exam! Last exam for a long long long time! Submitted it and headed straight to the nail salon for some alone me time :D Then it was back to the daily activities! Had a pretty productive day doing chores and running errands all in preparation for my parents coming to and entertaining over graduation weekend.


And being the baker in the family, and a snobby baker at that I end up baking most of the desserts for all celebrations! So I'm of course I had to bake something for myself too. Sounds pretty lame, but it was nice to be back in the kitchen and baking again. Its been so long!


So long that I almost forgot that I didn't share this great cookie book. There couldn't be a better book out there to show you how to "stretch your cookie cutters". This book may actually help me to buy less cookie cutters! We'll see!


With all that I have to get done before the weekend, I went really simple with the cookies, just cut them using my graduation cap cookie cutter and then piped a tassel on to it using some melted chocolate (orange because my tassel is orange :D)


Chocolate cookies are little tricky to bake as it is hard to tell when the edges brown, so keep an eye on them while they are in the oven!


I also like to chill my cookie dough and cookie sheet to reduce the dough from spreading and help retain the shape of the cutter.


I have one more thing to get done before I can graduate, and I'm off to finish to my last presentation, 2ish days to go!


The Chocolate Cookie
Recipe Adapted from You Can't Judge a Cookie by Its Cutter

Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups plus 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp vanilla extract

Method

  1. Sift the flour and baking powder together and set aside.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until the mixture is a pale yellow. Add in the cocoa powder and continue beating until completely incorporated.
  3. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix till just combined, then add in the vanilla extract.
  4. Finally, add the flour mixture and continue beating until well mixed.
  5. Chill the dough while preheating the oven to 350*F.
  6. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut to desired shapes.
  7. Bake for 8-10 mins on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  8. Cool the cookies on the sheet for 5 mins before removing to a wire sheet.
  9. Decorate as desired :)

Enjoy!
Farhana

Don't forget, caring is sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!