#footballsunday 10.0 : Spinach and Artichoke Dip

We might have lost, but I have a tasty comfort food coming your way to make you feel better! I should have gotten this post out earlier today, but instead of blogging while watching the game, I was studying for an interview and then headed out to a craft class right after (details on this later!). But we all know that all work and no play made Jack a dull boy, so I'm taking a break :)


I had spinach artichoke dip years ago before I even knew what an artichoke was. Then we had it together at a restaurant over the summer and since then its become a favorite and I look for an excuse to make it any chance I get! Appetizers? I got you covered!


I enjoyed making it in my new iron skillet (thanks LL!) but I before I had it I made it in a regular fry pan and it was just as tasty. The crab meat is of course optional and can easily be omitted if you have vegetarian guests. I do not do vegan, so lets not go there :P


This recipe was also shared by a friend (I love it when friends share recipe :) ) and is very easily customization, you can adjust spice and cheese level to your taste. So put all the ingredients on your shopping list and make it for next week's game! Serve it with blue chips and you have a blue and green treat to share.  


Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Ingredients
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
16 oz crab meat
4 Tbsp chopped basil
chili flakes, optional
salt and pepper, to taste
14 oz can of artichoke, drained and chopped
2 x 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup whipping cream
8 oz Italian cheese mix

Method
1. Heat up the olive oil in a large frying pan/iron skillet. Add onions and garlic. Stir until onions are transparent.
2. Add bell peppers and fry for 3-4 mins.
3. Add in crab meat along with spices (basil, chili flake, salt and pepper).
4. Once the crab meat starts to brown add the artichoke.
5. Add in spinach and stir well.
6. Add vegetable stock and whipping cream, allow mixture to come to a boil.
7. Finally, add the cheese and stir well to mix it in.
8. Once the cheese melts, your ready to serve!

(goes well with tortilla chips, pita bread or toasted french bread)

Go Hawks!
Farhana 

1 comment:

Thanks for reading my blog!