Blogger View: Abida from The Red Lychee

Hope that all of you had a good weekend and are all pumped for the week ahead. I sure am as this week is what left between me and a week off from school :D (not that I'll be not doing school stuff, but one less day too commute!). Also looking forward to having an out of town friend over for Memorial Day weekend and catching up with some local friends. School work can wait right :P

Today I got the chance to get to know a little bit more about Adiba, the blogger behind "The Red Lychee". One of the best things about blogging is meeting other bloggers and learning from them. But I get especially excited when meet bloggers with a Bangladeshi background sharing local dishes on their blog.

So then, let's meet Abida!

1. How long have you been blogging?
I started blogging in December 2014, so it has only been about 6 months so far. I'm still a real newbie to the whole thing! 

2. What made you start blogging?
Though I officially started my blog last December, I had been wanting to start one up for a good 2 years before that but kept putting it off due to university commitments and time constraints. I followed a few food bloggers and was always scouring Pinterest for recipes to try out (some more successful than others!), which I would sometimes document on Instagram.

Once I graduated and started working, I felt like I had a little more free time and decided to take the plunge and start my own blog

3. Do you remember your first blog post, if so what was it?
It was a traditional Bangladeshi chicken curry that me and my family would often have as an everyday dinner type meal. I chose that recipe because when I started the blog, I was intending on focusing on traditional Bangladeshi cooking that I picked up from my mother however as the months have gone on, I have tried to experiment with a range of different cuisines, and just sometimes add that Bengali twist.

4. Do you blog full time or is it a hobby?
I currently work as a full time teacher and blog as a hobby during evenings and weekends. My first few months of teaching were difficult and I would often come home tired and pretty much veg out and be completely unproductive. Blogging gave me a creative outlet to focus on in my spare time and meant that I could try and become a better cook and enjoy some good food all at the same time. We all have to eat, why not have some fun doing it too?

5. Who is your favorite blogger?
That's a tough one! Some of the first food blogs that I came across were Ya Salam Cooking and Culinary Couture food blog and I loved their Middle Eastern recipes. I also came across a food blog by Umm Hamza of halalhomecooking.com about 2 or 3 years ago, who was one of the first food bloggers I really spoke to and her blog really inspired me to start one of my own. I also really love Recreatingrecipes.com and maryammakes.com which are respectively a mix of traditional Bangladeshi cooking and some health conscientious cooking.

6. What is your favorite social media?
Though I do have a Instagram and  twitter page for my blog, it has to be Pinterest! I have found so many amazing recipes through there, which never seemed to show up in my Google searches. I have boards dedicated to different world cuisines and I am always telling myself that I am going to make all of the recipes on there!

7. What is your favorite crafting tool?
It has to be a sharpie. It's so versatile and I love to use it for doodling and hand lettering.

8. What is your favorite season or holiday to blog about?
Spring! Though I love making soups in winter, I love the colour and vibrancy of spring. I always feel more inspired to make healthier and creative recipes.

9. Something that you can't live with out?
My faith in Allah. Even when it comes to blogging, my belief in the Almighty is something that has an impact of everything I post.

10. Any words for new and aspiring bloggers? 
Do it! Forget whatever excuses you might have (I don't have the time/camera/technical know how) and just do it. Start off simple and basic so as not to over burden yourself and build yourself up. You will get better with every post and learn something new every day. Stick to a regular routine when posting, even if it is only once a week and focus on quality, not quantity. Try and find bloggers with a similar niche or interests to you and focus on creating good relationships with them.

Though it can be frustrating at times, I thoroughly enjoy blogging and it's so satisfying when someone successfully tries one of your recipe. Starting a blog was definitely one of the best decisions I made this year!

Here are some of Adiba's recipes that I have bookmarked to try out after graduation! 


1. My favorite Bangladeshi dessert, Rosh Malia
2. Bangladeshi meals are incomplete with out a fish dish
3. Who doesn't love Begun Bhorta!
4. This chicken curry recipes remind me of my childhood.
5. Cannot wait to try this salmon recipe!
6. I usually like the potatoes more than the beef in this curry.

Enjoy!
Farhana

Don't forget, caring is sharing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Farhana, many thanks for the feature on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!